Each year, the ISSOTL Board organizes a public call for nominations for the Distinguished Service Award. This award is aimed at ISSOTL members who have served the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning in distinguished ways for a period spanning a significant part of their career as faculty or leaders in higher education. The Board may make up to two such awards per year.
Nominations should be sent to the ISSOTL President (email@example.com). Self-nominations can be made in the same way. Nominations are due June 1, 2015.
Criteria for selection
Candidates for this nomination should fulfill the following criteria:
- Have a widely acknowledged reputation in the field of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- Have contributed significantly to the work of ISSOTL
- Have a profile that will enable them to take on an advisory/representational role for ISSOTL
- Have normally been a member for a period of at least 5 years
- Be able to evidence that they espouse the values of the Society
Examples of contributions to the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning might include:
- Active leadership in ISSOTL
- Evidence of sustained SOTL leadership impact at local level (institutional or national)
- Significant advocacy and/or ‘going public’ roles at national and international level
Currently, the award is a framed certificate and life membership in ISSOTL. The annual Conference registration system is able to allow awardees the membership rate. There is no sponsorship to pay for conference registration or travel, though that could be considered in future years.
Nominations (Due June 1, 2015)
The nomination form should include
- Nominator’s name, affiliation, and contact details
- Nominee’s name, contact details, present / past institutional and ISSOTL role
- A 300 word statement by the nominator, addressing the criteria for nominations; if self-nominated, a similar statement by the nominee addressing the criteria
- A summary of key points (including those from accompanying letters)
- A maximum of 3 accompanying letters of support
- The package should be not more than 10 pages in total
A selection committee including the President, a past winner of the award, and a student representative from the Board will review the nominations and recommend awardees for approval by the Board. It is possible that no award will be made in any given year if no candidates stand out as suitable for the award.