CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
Co-Editor of Teaching & Learning Inquiry
The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (ISSOTL) invites applications for the position of co-editor of Teaching & Learning Inquiry (TLI), its open access scholarly journal, now moving into its fifth year of publication (tlijournal.com).
This opening marks an important transition in the life of the journal as Gary Poole moves out of his co-editor role. His departure will be a phased one, as he continues to serve as co-editor for 2017 and 2018, while a new partner for continuing co-editor Nancy Chick transitions into the role.
This position offers an unparalleled opportunity for professional development and leadership. In guiding ISSOTL’s official journal, the co-editors advance the goals and values of the Society, help to shape the international field of SoTL, and actively contribute to its growth.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The expected term of service is five years, with the possibility of a one-time renewal. The anticipated start date is September 2017, but there is some flexibility in this timeframe. The position is voluntary and involves working closely with TLI’s current co-editor and editorial manager, meeting tight deadlines, and attending the annual ISSOTL conference.
The successful applicant will be an active participant in the scholarship of teaching and learning community and demonstrate a history of engagement with ISSOTL. The new co-editor will be an ISSOTL member during her or his tenure as co-editor.
While all applications are welcome, scholars from outside of North America are especially invited to apply.
ISSOTL’s Publications Advisory Committee will manage the search process. The final selection and appointment will then be made by the ISSOTL Board of Directors.
Applications are due on June 5, 2017, and can be submitted electronically to Pat Hutchings, Publications Advisory Committee chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Letters of application should do the following:
- outline your reasons for applying and what you bring to the role of co-editor,
- address the selection criteria below,
- provide the names and contact information of two references from the international SoTL community, and
- include your current Curriculum Vitae (no more than 6 pages please).
The application deadline is June 5, 2017.
The following criteria will be important in the selection process:
- Active involvement in the scholarship of teaching and learning, with a record of publication in this area,
- Commitment to encouraging both high-quality scholarly work and increased participation in the scholarship of teaching and learning,
- Commitment to the vision of Teaching & Learning Inquiry and goals of the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning,
- Experience as an academic editor
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others,
- Excellent organisational and communication skills, including demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and excellent copyediting/proofreading skills, and
- Comfort working in online environments and open access.