Date: Updated July 1, 2020
Closing Date: Applications must be received before 4:00 p.m. (Eastern) on July 24, 2020.
Email Applications to: email@example.com
The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning is seeking applications from consultants and/or organizations to provide bookkeeping support for the Society. As the Society is based in the US, only US-based bonded applicants are sought for this position.
The International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, Inc. serves faculty members, staff, and students who care about teaching and learning as serious intellectual work. Through building intellectual and collaborative infrastructure, the Society supports the associational life that fosters scholarly work about teaching and learning. The Society provides this support by:
- recognizing and encouraging scholarly work on teaching and learning in each discipline, within scholarly societies and across educational levels,
- promoting cross-disciplinary conversations to create synergy and prompt new lines of inquiry,
- facilitating the collaboration of scholars in different countries and the flow of new findings and applications across national boundaries,
- encouraging the integration of discovery, learning, and public engagement, and
- advocating for support, review, recognition, and appropriate uses of the scholarship of teaching and learning.
To find out more about ISSOTL please visit our website: https://issotl.com/
Daily Financial Operations
- Timely bill paying, wire transfer processing, and reconciliation of bank statements
- Financial record keeping
- Monitor receivables and payables (including generating invoices for memberships, conference sponsorships, and other payments; reconcile payments and monitor arrears)
- Preparation of documents for tax filing
Financial Planning and Project Management
- In collaboration with the Society Treasurer, prepare annual operating budget for Board approval
- Provide quarterly financial statements to the Board
- Coordinate with the Society’s Executive Coordinator and Conference Planning team to oversee conference budget planning, payments, and financial reconciliation with conference hosts.
In responding to this RFP, we anticipate a 3-year term, renewable, contract. This is not a salaried position, rather a consultancy role. We anticipate this position will require <5 hours of work per week with greater workloads leading up to and directly after the annual conference in October each year (up to 8 hours per week). Please indicate the total number hours you or your organization intends to commit on a weekly basis, recognizing that some weeks will have greater or lesser demand but it is important to set parameters regarding expectations.
Candidates are required to provide a breakdown of the administrative fee based on an annual basis. Payments will be paid quarterly unless negotiated. ISSOTL is not responsible for any travel, meal, or accommodation expenses incurred by the Consultant/Organization that are not pre-approved in writing by the ISSOTL Board.
Relationship and Reporting Requirements
There is an expectation that work will be done in collaboration with the ISSOTL Board Executive and approval for all work will be directed by the ISSOTL Board of Directors.
During the contract, the Consultant/Organization will report to the President (currently Michelle Yeo, with Nancy Chick and Huang Hoon Chng starting their term as co-presidents July 1, 2020). This reporting may also occur through the President Elect, Treasurer, or Secretary.
The selected Consultant/Organization must provide the ISSOTL with a contingency plan to ensure the financial function of the ISSOTL continues in the event of any unforeseen circumstances. The plan should describe a replacement process if the individual(s) responsible is no longer available to work on the project. The Contingency Plan should include the following:
- The fact that the replacement resource is subject to ISSOTL approval if the individual(s) is no longer available to work or is unable to fulfill the role, and
- Consultant/Organization’s plan to minimize downtime by providing a replacement resource.
All aspects of the ISSOTL administration will be the intellectual property of the ISSOTL.
Applications will be evaluated by the Executive and approved by the ISSOTL Board.
Evaluation of Applications
In your proposal, please clearly outline your experience with the following:
- Past experience providing ongoing bookkeeping services
- Past experience overseeing US-based not-for-profit financial responsibilities
- Consultant/Organization Qualifications
Past experience supporting academic societies and/or small, not-for-profit organizations is particularly sought. Only successful consultants/organizations will be contacted.