Structured as intentional collaborations that bring together ISSOTL members of all ranks and regions in focused inquiry, International Collaborative Writing Groups (ICWGs) embody both the spirit and the work of ISSOTL. The 2024 track — ISSOTL’s first “Emergent” year in the ICWG cycle reserved for emergent opportunities — will commemorate ISSOTL’s 20th anniversary by focusing on “Reflecting and Reinvigorating: The Past, Present, and Future of ISSOTL” as groups explore who we are, how we came to be, what has worked, what is missing, what could be, and how ISSOTL fits into the broader history of SoTL. Read more about this year’s theme and vision here.
ISSOTL invites applications from current ISSOTL members to co-lead this anniversary cohort of ICWGs. Two individuals will be selected as co-leaders to facilitate a collegial process that generates a variety of engaging products designed to tell the ISSOTL story from different perspectives. This volunteer position is an exciting leadership opportunity for ISSOTL members who are
- engaged with ISSOTL
- committed to collaborative SoTL,
- interested in exploring ISSOTL’s impact and potential,
- dedicated to mentoring SoTL peers through the ICWG process,
- experience or willingness to work with alternate/creative forms of scholarship (e.g., digital, visual, and/or multimodal forms of scholarly communication), and
- committed to working in international partnerships.
Details about the ICWG, co-leaders’ roles and responsibilities, timeline, and selection process are below. For further information on the overarching ICWG initiative encompassing multiple tracks or project types, see the ICWG pages on the ISSOTL website, and view this collection of video interviews with former ICWG participants.
Aims and Outcomes
The aims of this cohort of ICWGs are to
- build the capacity of participants to innovate and work effectively in international collaborative groups,
- capture the collective historical knowledge in a set of products that live on beyond individual members,
- document ISSOTL’s collective history (i.e., explore who we are, how we came to be, what has worked, what is missing, what could be, and how ISSOTL fits into the broader history of SoTL), and
- foster creativity in identifying the best product(s) for the work of the group.
The co-leaders’ coordination of this cohort of ICWGs begins January 1, 2024. In collaboration with the Emergent ICWG Working Group, co-leaders will immediately begin familiarizing themselves with — and adjusting as needed — the process for guiding the groups, and then identifying the specific projects that are feasible for this cohort. The co-leaders will call for and select group facilitators, and then call for group participants, whom they will select in consultation with group facilitators.
Co-leaders will then guide group facilitators and their groups in the development and execution of their specific ICWG projects, starting in April 2024, continuing to and through the working session at ISSOTL24, and then until each group has completed its products, no later than the ISSOTL25 conference, where they are encouraged to share their work. A more detailed timeline is below.